St Vincent's Private Hospital
St Vincent's Private HospitalDiamond
St Vincent’s Health Australia (SVHA) has been providing healthcare in Australia for over 160 years, since our first hospital was established in Sydney in 1857 by the Sisters of Charity. When the first five Sisters arrived in Australia in 1838 they carried with them the vision of their Founder, Mary Aikenhead, to reach out to all in need of care, but particularly those living on the fringes of our society.
Our private hospitals hold an essential place in this Mission. Since the opening of the first St Vincent’s Private Hospital in 1909, we have worked in partnership with specialist doctors to build a strong culture of excellence and compassion in healthcare. In the days before government funding of public hospitals, our doctors often provided medical care at no charge to the poor and destitute. The establishment of private hospitals enabled our doctors to treat private, fee-paying patients, ensuring they had the capacity to continue to support the Sisters of Charity in their broader mission.
Today, by providing excellent, compassionate, research-driven care to our patients in the private system, we continue to strengthen St Vincent’s capacity to care for those who are poor and vulnerable across our whole network of services.